Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy to no Longer be On the List

According to a recent list of the most popular family tourist destinations, Orlando is ranked #1:

Not all that long ago, I would feel a swelling pride at seeing my hometown listed prominently there at the top of the list. But after 30 years of residency there, I know exactly what being #1 means - lots of traffic, an annoyingly big and bustling airport, a large quantity of snowbirds, and constant large-scale construction (roads, houses, etc).

On the other hand, I must admit that I am still happy to visit there regularly. Having family and friends there as an reason to visit means I can be one of the gazillion families that travel to and appreciate Orlando as a vacation destination.

I guess the bottom line is that it is a great place to visit, especially for the kids. But I think being such a great place to visit helps to make it not as much of a desirable place to live, especially now that I know what it's like to live in a place that will probably (hopefully) never make it on that list.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I agree with you completely. Orlando is great to go back and visit, but I'm so glad that we don't live there anymore either. 24 hour traffic, hot humid weather...I don't miss it at all! I do miss the family though...

counter stats