Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Audio Opposites

While I was in Florida, my brother and I went to a Jaguars vs Raiders (pro football) game in Jacksonville. The tickets were a Christmas present from him (thanks again Steve).

On the way there, we were listening to country music in his pickup. The words to a particular song really got my attention, and it occurred to me that much of the message of country music is completely opposite of rap music's. Country songs often promote God, family values, being content with what you have, and appreciation of the little things in life despite the annoyances and frustrations.

The song was Lucky Man by Montgomery Gentry (link is to an mp3). Besides Lucky Man, other examples that I can think of off the top of my head (with links to the lyrics) are:
Phil Vassar - Just Another Day in Paradise
Martina McBride - I Have Been Blessed
Montgomery Gentry - Something to be Proud of
Lonestar - My Front Porch Looking In
Craig Morgan - That's What I Love About Sunday

In sharp contrast, rap music usually promotes drinking, drugs, womanizing, partying, a heavy emphasis on money and wealth, etc. Admittedly, I can't help but appreciate the rough attitude and catchy bass beats, but the lyrics and message usually suck! As an example, check out the lyrics to the current number one hip-hop song.

I'm not trying to knock all songs that are about sex or having fun at clubs, especially since I like them too, if they're catchy enough (Low is pretty damn catchy - I downloaded it). I'm just noting the contrast between the two and encouraging any readers to give country a try once in a while. The positive message alone is worth it, and the ratio of good songs (catchy music, good lyrics) to annoying ones is probably about the same as hip-hop's.

No comments:

counter stats