Monday, September 03, 2007

An Unusual Quantity of Quiet

Last Tuesday, my friend Brian asked if I could watch their kids while him and his wife went out to celebrate their 8 year anniversary. I was more than happy to oblige, especially since he has done this several times for us.

Since I was anticipating spending some time alone after the kids went to bed, I came fully prepared with ways to entertain myself, including a book I have been reading, my journal, my Bible, and my laptop. Not only that , but there was also had a Jet Li movie at their house that I hadn't seen yet.

Thankfully, they put their children to bed just before leaving for the evening. Not that I would mind doing it myself, but since I didn't have to, I was able to spend the entire three hours that they were gone in utter silence. I was able to pray, finish my book, think, pray some more, listen, and write in my journal. Not once did I crack open my laptop or turn on the TV.

There was once a time in my life when that would have sounded like sheer torture. But now I have a wife, two kids, car pooling (which I enjoy, but it eliminates what is normally alone time in the car), and a long and continuous "To-Do" list to deal with. So any quiet time is extremely rare and oh-so-cherished, let alone three solid hours worth.

While Brian and his wife Tammy were gracious with their thanks, the appreciation of the evening was definitely mutual. So to you both I say "Your welcome.", and in all sincerity "Any time guys." Any time indeed.

No comments:

counter stats