Monday, January 15, 2007

Meaning to Mind My Mouth More (part 1 = content)

Below is the new year's resolution I was originally going to write about (on 1/4/07), before decided to list my somewhat overly lofty (unless over my lifetime perhaps) goals here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's that time of year. I know this week is chronologically the same as last week, and the one before that too. But damnit, I like the idea of psychologically separating one year from the next. I like reflecting on last year and noting the things that I am looking forward to in the coming year. And yes, I like making resolutions too!

I am somewhat introspective and goal oriented on a normal everyday basis though (as is evident in all too much of this boring blog site), so I really don't have too many things to add to my list that I haven't already resolved to do or am attempting to be.

I did manage to think of one thing though, and it's a lofty goal to achieve, for me at least. It is to be more disciplined in using my mind before my mouth. When I mentioned my resolution to one of my co-workers (who is also one of my prayer buddies), he asked "So you suffer from constipation of the mind and diarrhea of the mouth?" Yes, I'd have to say that sums it up pretty nicely.

I'm not saying that I'm going to turn into a sissy and refrain from telling it like it is, or to shy away from a conflict just to avoid the verbal confrontation. I'm just saying that I would like to make a much more concerted effort to think more before I speak.

No comments:

counter stats