Monday, March 16, 2009

Request for Recreational Ideas

My boss (actually my boss' boss) recently asked me if I'd be interested in coming up with some social ideas for our group at work. That was probably about a month ago, and I haven't done anything with it yet.

The catch is that there is no budget for this, and any activities will have to be off of the clock.

Here is what I have come up with so far:
  • Retro Movie and Pizza Lunch, starting with the movie Tron (we'd all have to contribute $ for the pizza).

  • Fica Fridays, at 3pm. Fica is a Swedish form of coffee break.

  • Donut Day. This would consist of me bringing in donuts one day a week.

  • BBQ at the park. There is a pretty nice park less than a mile from here that we could meet at for lunch, or perhaps after work for dinner - the families of the employees could meet there.

  • Dart Tournament. This would require me obtaining a dart board (from Craigslist?) and getting it approved and installed somewhere at work. Tough perhaps, but still possible?

  • Wednesday burger lunch. When we had a company that actually cooked in our cafeteria, our group would regularly meet for lunch on Wednesdays when they cooked burgers. They have been gone for a while now though, so this could resurrect the tradition by perhaps all going to Burger King, which is within walking distance.
I think I'm going to start with Fica Friday this week.

Any additional ideas or experiences that anyone out there in blogland is willing to share would certainly be appreciated.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This may sound nuts, but cubicle golf is a huge hit in my office. And the best part is that it's a minimal one-time cost.

Pretty much, during your lunch break (or a set time), you set up a golf course. Anytime the ball strikes a wall or anything in its path, it's a point against you.

We've had tournaments and all that. All you need is a couple golf balls (steal the colored ones from a mini-golf place) and a couple of clubs.

It's fun!

michael said...

That's actually a pretty sweet idea. Thanks! I'll have to look into it.

Amanda Lomonaco said...

Dude, we can't afford you providing donuts to your entire office team (isn't it like 30 guys??) once per week. Maybe set up a rotation for this like you do with your prayer group breakfasts.

counter stats